Saturday, August 29, 2009

Duck for President by Doreen Cronin

I remember reading this book and other books (such as Giggle, Giggle, Quack) by this author when I was younger but I had forgotten how fun they can be. Duck for President combines real-life and fantasy into one. For example, living on a farm is something that is real and that many children experience. As the book says, "Running a farm is very hard work" and it can give children living in rural areas something to relate to while making it fun (i.e. having animals that talk and a duck that wants to get away from the hard work).

My favorite thing about this book is how it ties in government because there are so many lessons that I can teach my class. This would be a great opening book when talking about voting or roles of the governor, president, etc. After using this book in my lesson, I can have the kids fill out ballots and vote for different classroom roles. There is so much that can be done with this book.

The illustrator does a great job of making each page colorful and fun. I love how she includes posters, signs, newspaper clippings, etc. to read from instead of having "plain text" all the way through. Having experience being a kid, I can say that is something I found visually stimulating which made me want to read it.

This book is for all ages and the lessons that can go along with the book can be changed to accomodate any grade level.

No comments:

Post a Comment