Wednesday, September 16, 2009


Time Warp Trio: Nightmare on Joe's Street by Jon Scieszka
First, let me say that before doing this assignment, I had no idea what a graphic novel was and I am quite embarrassed by it. I had incorrectly assumed that a graphic novel was basically a scary book and I had come to this assumption because of the word "graphic." I was completely surprised to find out that a graphic novel is just a comic book. If it had just been called a comic book in the first place, my life would be a lot easier. :)
Time Warp Trio is part of a series but this particular book is about friends Joe and Sam and Frankenstein. Joe and Sam are having a sleepover when the hear something in the closet. It is Frankenstein. He is looking for his creator to ask him or her why he was created so ugly. To keep the monster happy and to stop him for seeking vengeance, Joe and Sam take him back in time to meet Mary Shelley, the author who wrote Frankenstein. After a frightful experience, Mary Shelley decides not to write the book after all. Sad that such a great masterpiece may not exist, Joe and Sam travel back farther in time to change her mind.
I was pleasantly surprised after reading this book. I thought I would hate graphic novels (especially after I found out they were comic books) but the humor, style, and ties to real history kept me interested. I like the style of graphic novels because it paints such a clear image in my mind while reading. The pages come to life and I am able to feel the emotions of the characters. I found myself laughing out loud while reading this book. There is one scene where Joe leaves to try and find his book and he asks Sam to entertain the monster to keep him calm. Joe comes back and Sam is singing "I'm a Little Teapot" to the monster. The pictures painted quite a scene for me which made this particular scene extremely hilarious.
Another thing I liked about this book is the facts and history that it included. Sam is a human encyclopedia and he explained to Joe that the monster's name is not Frankenstein; the doctor that created the monster in Mary Shelley's book was named Dr. Frankenstein. Twice throughout the book, the story stopped to give a "news report." The book would say "We interrupt this story to bring you this message..." and then fun facts about Mary Shelley or the book Frankenstein were given and it would conclude with "And now...back to our story."
The book says that it is for grades 2-4 but I think it is a great book for any age, even adults. It is a fun, easy read and there is even a section at the beginning that lists and explains the characters just in case younger or beginner readers get confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment