Wednesday, October 7, 2009


The Rabbits' Wedding by Garth Williams
This book is about a little white rabbit and a little black rabbit who are good friends are play together all the time. Every once in awhile the little black rabbit looks sad so the little white rabbit asked him what's wrong. The black rabbit says he has a wish, he wishes that he could be with the white rabbit forever and always. The white rabbit agrees and they get married so they can be together forever.
This is considered a controversial book because of the idea of interracial marriage. It is hard to say whether or not the author thought of this when he was writing it. Some people want this book banned because they don't agree with interracial marriage but banning this book sends the message that interracial marriage is wrong. What is there is a young student who has a white mom and a black dad? The message that would be given to her is that her parents are doing something wrong and she is the product of that. I wouldn't have a problem reading this book in my classroom because the idea of interracial marriage isn't explicitly stated in the book so I don't think most kids would think twice about it. The only reason I wouldn't read this book is because I feel the text is a little dull.
The illustrations in this book remind me of reading my parent's old books when I was little. This book was copyrighted in 1958 if that gives you an idea of what the pictures look like; they have an old feel to them. I would recommend this book for kids ages 3-6.

1 comment:

  1. If the author was tackling the issue of interracial marriage in 1958, he was quite innovative. That was a much different time and people just didn't talk about things like that. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete