Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Enormous Snore by M.L. Miller

This story is about a little girl who got lost from her parents. While searching, she hears a terrible noise. It is the King snoring. All the villagers are upset with the loud noise so they try to put stuff under his mattress to quiet him. The little girl comes up with an idea; she suggests to take the King to Echo Ravine. When he gets there, the King lets out a giant snore and the echo makes it come right back to him. He is awoken and never snores again because now he knows hoe dreadful it is. The story ends with the little girl finding her parents.

Parts of this story reminded me of The Princess and the Pea but I don't think many kids would get this because I don't think that fairy tale is well known. I know that someone puts a pea under the princess' bed but I don't know why so I wasn't sure why the townspeople were putting stuff under the King's bed. I do think that kids may think it is funny because they put silly things under the bed such as a lawn mower, a dinner gong, five sesame seeds, a rowboat, and seven jelly beans.

The illustrations in this book are by Kevin Hawkes and although he is not my favorite illustrator, the pictures are good. He does a great job of filling the page by I don't think there is enough detail in the pictures. I would recommend this book for kids ages 2-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment