Monday, November 16, 2009


You Read to Me, I'll Read to You by Mary Ann Hoberman
This book is a collection of short poems that are organized so that two people can read them together. When the words are aligned on the left, one person reads them and when they are aligned on the right, the other person reads them. When the words are in the middle, you read them together. Each poem is very simple and easy to read and they are humorous. This would be great for partner reading in the classroom or for storytime with your own child at night. Since this book is a collection of poems, the entire book doesn't have to be read at one time; you could read one poem each time.
The illustrator, Michael Emberley, matches the pictures with the text. The pictures do add to the text but I think the main focus is the text.
The poems in this book all rhyme so it has a nice flow to them. Let's face it, when kids think of poetry they think of rhyming words. When I was younger, the only poems that I would want to read were the ones that rhymed. I think this book is definitely in tune with what kids want. I recommend this book for kids ages 2-10. The younger kids probably wouldn't be able to read along but I think they would enjoy listening to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment